September 2, 2009
I had a great time last Wednesday discussing online tools that indie musicians can use to promote themselves and their music. The Tool Talk round table was attended by Kate O’Neill, Paul Schatzkin, Nancy Moran, Charles Alexander, Geoff Smith, Nicholas Young and David Beronja.
Tools recommended include:
- Artist Data help artists publish information to a variety of destinations with a single point of entry. Social networks, official websites, and much more.
- Reverb Nation Adds Website Creation and Hosting for Bands
- Fanbridge provides email and mobile fan list management services for bands.
- Mad Mimi Email marketing and email newsletter software for small businesses shops, universities, non-profits, associations, performing artists and agencies.
- Emma Create, send and track customized and stylish email newsletters to your customer or clients.
- Topspin a technology platform for direct-to-fan marketing, management, and distribution.
- Master Writer one of the most remarkable software programs ever developed for the songwriter.
- Indie Band Manager the complete and affordable database management system for musicians, freelancers, agents, labels, publicists and managers alike
- 4 track iPhone app a songwriting and practice tool for singers, guitar players
- iTalk Recorder app A recording app for your iPhone or 2nd gen iPod touch (full disclosure
- Source Elements Connect enables audio connections between digital audio systems anywhere in the world, allowing direct-to-the-timeline recording with real-time
- Lefsetz addresses the issues that are at the core of the music business: downloading, copy protection, pricing and the music itself.
- Techdirt News, commentary, and discussions on important or interesting high tech news and includes newsletters.
- “Any Day Now” film a performance documentary
- Bandmetrics Understand your fans, gauge the popularity of your music and manage your band’s digital identity, as Band Metrics helps musicians and bands analyze
- Jonathon Coulton (as a great case study) Brooklyn, New York, (United States) musician and songwriter. Includes a biography, lyrics, mp3s, and discography.
- Levi Weaver Armed with little more than a guitar, a laptop and a loyal fanbase
- Rick Monroe
- ESessions Job Board. eBay meets Craigslist meets professional music. Post a job and reach thousands of members instantly; Choose from anyone
- Attending events and networking
- Libysn Full featured service tailored specifically for media self-publishing and podcasting. Price is based on usage, changing monthly if needed
- Ringtone Feeder New original iPhone ringtones every week. Designed to put a smile on your face and to sound great on the iPhone.
- WordPress plug ins, amember and wp wish list Our first release is called “WishList Member” and provides users the ability to quickly turn a WordPress blog into a fully functional membership site
- Premiumcast New Media Simplified – Total Podcast And RSS Control
- Square Space Focus on writing your weblog entries and publishing your files and pictures instead of worrying about how to design and update your website.
- Snap Monkey Build and create a web site on SnapMonkey. affordable web site design, and online marketing strategies for your business
- Bandzoogle Build an amazing band website in minutes, no web design skills needed.
- Rock N Roll Design Band Website Design and Web Site Builder Tools for Bands, Artists, and Music Businesses.
- Rackspace Dedicated Server and Managed Server Hosting Services backed by 100% Network Uptime Guarantee & Fanatical support
Paul was kind enough to do some research before hand. He brought along this document of his notes.
Have a listen to the conversation to get a better grasp of everything we covered. Note: There was an audio glitch in the middle of this recording, you’ll know it when it comes. Sorry about that.
Watch this space for the Tool Talk #3 invite soon.
Image by: geishaboy500