June 6, 2013
I just had a baby. Not really, but the feeling of writing and having a book published is similar in many ways. It began last year when I had the idea to write a book about business networking. The thought kept coming up, but I kept telling myself it wasn’t the right time. Like having a baby, there is never the right time.
I had the good fortune of meeting Katherine Bull, senior editor at Que Publishing during Jason Falls‘ Explore Conference in Nashville. Katherine and I discussed my idea a little, and she encouraged me to send her a proposal. I read up on the best way to do this and spoke with my fellow author friends. It was like reading What to Expect When You’re Expecting. Any parent will tell you how much dread that book fills you with, even though it’s information is important to know before having a baby.
My proposal was accepted and my dates were outlined. I was officially pregnant! The feeling of joy was overwhelming, I was practically glowing. Soon after, the feeling of uncertainty and self-doubt loomed. I was waking up at odd hours worried about meeting my deadlines. Was I good enough to bring this book into the world?
The Birth of New Business Networking
Fast forward several months, and I am the proud author of an 11.4 ounce healthy baby book!
Many of you have showed your support during the process and since New Business Networking’s birth on May 26. I do my best not to ask you for anything. I realize you have your friends, family, colleagues, and clients asking you for plenty each day. This blog post (it was an email too) has a couple of asks if you are willing, I promise not to get all needy on you. The following are a few ways you can support me as an author.
How to Show Your Support
- Buy a hardcopy or an eBook version of New Business Networking (affiliate link). Bonus points for purchasing multiple copies (they make great gifts).
- Please take a moment to rate and review the book on Amazon. This is important to help me sell the book and to put my real babies through college.
- Call your favorite local bookstore and ask them to order the book if they don’t already have it in stock.
- Share a photo of you with the book. Please post it using #nbnbook, so I can find the photo.
- In Nashville? Join us on June 18th for the official book launch party sponsored by my friends at Social Media Club Nashville. RSVP while space remains.
Thanks for taking the time to show your support by picking up a copy of the book and telling your friends. It means so much to have such a supportive community of awesome people. Cheers.