Create a real photo album

By | August 5, 2011

Photo from Flickr by: TojosanThere’s a great conversation on Uncle Weed’s podcast recently between Dave and Amber Case. You should listen to it.

Amber, a rocking cyborg-anthropologist, explains how in the future books will remain while some data will disappear. She made me stop to consider this.

What if the Internet disappeared. What if you lost all of your files, photos, videos, journals, diaries, blog posts, etc.? What if connectivity was no more.

What’s most important to you? What data is invaluable and irreplaceable?

For me, it’s my photos of my family, especially of my kids. My Mum still has all of the old photo albums from the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s.

Find the time. Make the time. Don’t just backup everything, but make it real, make it tangible.

A quick search will show you many services that will print photo books for you. You should seriously consider this. I am.

Have you done this? What service did you use to print your photos in a book? Were you happy with the result?

Photo from Flickr by: Tojosan

16 Comments

John Morgan on August 9, 2011 at 2:52 am.

Everyone should do this! My wife is a photographer so she’s always making sure there’s more than just the digital version of our photos. She’s knows of some great resources to get your photos into a book. I’ll ask her for those and let you know.

We’ve put vacations in their own book with cool covers. It’s easier to grab those and look back than to try to find them in the cloud LOL

Dave Delaney on August 9, 2011 at 2:55 am.

I understand Blurb is really good.
Thanks John. I’m interested in what service she has used.

Dave Delaney on August 9, 2011 at 2:57 am.

I understand Blurb is really good.
Thanks John. I’m interested in what service she has used.

Kasey Lawrence on August 9, 2011 at 3:02 am.

I’ve made one photobook using Shutterfly before, but it was for someone else. Printing photos now is almost unheard of. I really want to migrate back to an instant photo camera.

My wedding footage is currently only on an external hard drive. If I lost that I think I would die/be killed.

Dave Delaney on August 9, 2011 at 3:06 am.

Thanks Kasey.
I know of services that digitize old photos, but I’m paranoid about putting them (with no negatives in existence) in the hands of someone else. Ya know?

Kasey Lawrence on August 9, 2011 at 3:15 am.

Oh I definitely understand that. It’s a bit labor intensive, but you could scan them. Some smart-scanning software lets you scan multiple photos at a time and saves them separately. It’s an option if the time is available.

I definitely prefer having tangible photos. I’m just lazy.

Dave Delaney on August 9, 2011 at 11:38 am.

Thanks Kasey. I’ll have to look into this idea too.

jimstorer on August 9, 2011 at 1:13 pm.

Closing the loop on our G+ conversation. For the first five years of my kid’s lives, my wife culled and printed our digital photos and put them in nice albums that are reminiscent of the ones our parents put together. We must have 6-7 albums at this point (one for each girl), but we’re 3-4 years behind on printing out digital photos.

Recently, we used Blurb to organize and print photos from a trip we took to Japan with them a few years ago. The software was easy to use and the final product was great. We loved being able to add stories along with the photos, a compelling combo that makes the old albums a thing of the past.

I’d use Blurb again. The ease of use and final result is worth the cost, imho.

Dave Delaney on August 9, 2011 at 2:38 pm.

Thanks for bringing the conversation here Jim. I’m planning to try Blurb this weekend, assuming I find that down time. ;)

John Morgan on August 9, 2011 at 3:37 pm.

Hey Dave,

There’s lots out there but she said Shutterfly is one of the best. They are easy to use and do softback or hardback covers. The quality is very good as well. Hope that helps!

Dave Delaney on August 9, 2011 at 5:44 pm.

I’ll check out Shutterfly too. Thanks John.

Dave Delaney on November 1, 2011 at 9:15 pm.

I’d like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.

– Dave

Dave Delaney
Social Media Coordinator at Griffin Technology
Greater Nashville Area

Confirm that you know Dave Delaney: https://www.linkedin.com/e/s3g8wn-guhp0uw3-3/isd/4770051502/NZIwH0QB/?hs=false&tok=3Y8W8ahW26LAY1

You are receiving Invitation to Connect emails. Click to unsubscribe: http://www.linkedin.com/e/s3g8wn-guhp0uw3-3/kJj5Do01JxW6ij6Hf17WmYY9TGowCLcnzVE5bmZCmzR/goo/notify-NKNN719BPE%40disqus%2Enet/20061/I1658480417_1/?hs=false&tok=3FEv0gjFa6LAY1
(c) 2011 LinkedIn Corporation. 2029 Stierlin Ct, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA.

Dave Delaney on November 1, 2011 at 9:15 pm.

I’d like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.

– Dave

Dave Delaney
Social Media Coordinator at Griffin Technology
Greater Nashville Area

Confirm that you know Dave Delaney: https://www.linkedin.com/e/loethd-guhp13c4-14/isd/4770053537/jPe3Oz3G/?hs=false&tok=3BpeX_LX26LAY1

You are receiving Invitation to Connect emails. Click to unsubscribe: http://www.linkedin.com/e/loethd-guhp13c4-14/pQysjv1ESzPSLj9xS8OE7DzgGvhsyLZJL8isKX7g2Iq/goo/notify-RU0ZZVHJII%40disqus%2Enet/20061/I1658481491_1/?hs=false&tok=1yowG-fD-6LAY1
(c) 2011 LinkedIn Corporation. 2029 Stierlin Ct, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA.

Dave Delaney on November 1, 2011 at 9:15 pm.

I’d like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.

– Dave

Dave Delaney
Social Media Coordinator at Griffin Technology
Greater Nashville Area

Confirm that you know Dave Delaney: https://www.linkedin.com/e/b8la-guhp18h5-5d/isd/4770054308/3IhEc031/?hs=false&tok=1gNISFVhu6LAY1

You are receiving Invitation to Connect emails. Click to unsubscribe: http://www.linkedin.com/e/b8la-guhp18h5-5d/TN6G8Hn8vW0gwfhHCAGz_QKCbWZJgr4n6wTGzO6g1if/goo/notify-WB1BS2U0NF%40disqus%2Enet/20061/I1658481685_1/?hs=false&tok=1id8eRkqi6LAY1
(c) 2011 LinkedIn Corporation. 2029 Stierlin Ct, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA.

Dave Delaney on November 1, 2011 at 9:15 pm.

I’d like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.

– Dave

Dave Delaney
Social Media Coordinator at Griffin Technology
Greater Nashville Area

Confirm that you know Dave Delaney: https://www.linkedin.com/e/71qwp9-guhp1cdw-66/isd/4770054989/7mEeb5-9/?hs=false&tok=3aiG_H2De6LAY1

You are receiving Invitation to Connect emails. Click to unsubscribe: http://www.linkedin.com/e/71qwp9-guhp1cdw-66/LiHNtLSNej1ee2jBTJeWV8VRVtVsTJmJJCkNLTPA0ry/goo/notify-BWM2D9OKQE%40disqus%2Enet/20061/I1658481878_1/?hs=false&tok=3V8kitlpi6LAY1
(c) 2011 LinkedIn Corporation. 2029 Stierlin Ct, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA.

Dave Delaney on November 1, 2011 at 9:15 pm.

I’d like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.

– Dave

Dave Delaney
Social Media Coordinator at Griffin Technology
Greater Nashville Area

Confirm that you know Dave Delaney: https://www.linkedin.com/e/rj0bqc-guhp1c9o-4f/isd/4770054962/0eZmwFIM/?hs=false&tok=1D28_cBgq6LAY1

You are receiving Invitation to Connect emails. Click to unsubscribe: http://www.linkedin.com/e/rj0bqc-guhp1c9o-4f/G0xsq1UGUTBNs8_TElVlwJSdGXHBbbta36lsFPuqebN/goo/notify-5R2DSZ3ZG2%40disqus%2Enet/20061/I1658481870_1/?hs=false&tok=1NygoofP26LAY1
(c) 2011 LinkedIn Corporation. 2029 Stierlin Ct, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA.

Leave Your Comment

Your email will not be published or shared. Required fields are marked *