March 14, 2008
SxSW: rabid bats, nuclear tacos, and more of my favorites
I’ve been neglecting this post and I apologize. It’s not that it’s going to be difficult to write, it’s simply that I have had no time to write it. Rather, I’ve been “micro-blogging” my time at SxSW using Twitter (like usual). It’s so much easier to post a brief “tweet” to my friends than to open up WordPress and hammer out a full blog post.
To call SxSW incredible is an understatement. While I throughly enjoy the “single track” small-crowd style of conferences like Gnomedex, or the multi-track, but not overly-crowded New Media Expo, SxSW is different, with an organized chaotic feel that is too cool. At Gnomedex the god fathers of our geeky ways usually congregate and historic things occur. At New Media Expo a mix of some of the god fathers and some newer folks gather. At SxSW it’s a refreshing mix of god fathers, rock stars, newbies, oldies, film geeks, musicians, business leaders, and just about anyone who’s interested in the interactive portion of this amazing event.
My highlights of SxSW include the following (in no specific order):
- Hugh McLeod‘s tweet to join him for a pint at Champion’s bar patio. This tweet created an impromptu Tweetup (Twitter meet up) with more than 50 people!
- Frank Warren’s PostSecret presentation and video of postcards strangers have sent him with their secrets
- Trapper Los MD’s presentation on being a video blogger, military doctor in Iraq (video)
- Michelle Greer‘s hospitality and overall awesomeness
- Thai Paradise with Julien, Jackie, C.C., Erik, Sarah, Cian, Sass, J.C., and our other buddies (audio)
- BarCamp Austin battle bot vs. house (video)
- Las Manitas‘ migas for breakfast
- Seeing everyone sporting Emma lanyards and helping to plant 1,000 trees. Thanks!
- Dinner with Kris Smith and the non-dummies
- Damn fine barbecue at Stubb’s with old and new friends – special thanks to The Advance Guard.
- Incredible lunch at Iron Works with Ariel Hyatt and Baratunde
- Waiting from daylight until dark for our table at the Hula Hut with amazing new friends (audio)
- Getting lost with Erik trying to find Progress coffee shop
- Nuclear Tacos (better in than out)
- Seeing a softer side of Ewan Spence
- Coming out of the on-stage-story-telling-closet at The Fray Cafe (video to come)
- Erik Jones’ “Stand By Me” story (audio) and Tod Maffin’s tale of bad meat and condoms (audio)
- Clarence‘s NASCAR-esque race up the stairs with a pregnant woman (video)
- The couples on couches video at 20 X 2 at The Parish (video)
- Watching Sara Lacy get grilled by the audience during her horrible Facebook: Mark Zuckerberg interview (video)
- Discovering that the Bloghaus was on the 7 1/2 floor (thanks for the beverages and space)
- Twitter stayed up! Way to go Twitter. Follow the tweets here.
- Rabid bats!?!?!
I’m sure there’s much more that I’m forgetting, but for now these are the best bits of SxSW Interactive for me. Thanks to everyone who helped make my experience unforgettable.
Were you there? What was your favorite?
[tags]sxsw, sxswi, sxsw2008, south by southwest, austin, gnomedex, net media expo, hugh mcleod, gaping void, frank warren, postsecret, trapper los md, carlos brown, iraq video blogger, michelle greer, thai paradise, julien smith, cc chapman, jc hutchins, jeff sass, myxer, barcamp austin, battlebot, las manitas, myemma.com/sxsw, emma email, 1,000 trees, kris smith, blogtalkradio, stubb’s, iron works, ariel hyatt, baratunde, hula hut, prospect coffee, nucleartacos, nuclear tacos, ewan spense, fray cafe, stand by me, erik jones, tod maffin, dykc, 20×2, 20 x 2, sara lacey, mark zuckerberg, bloghaus, austin convention center, cian o’donovan, #sxsw, the advance guard, rabid bats[/tags]